Revitalising the Kimberley Bike Park
In 2022 a group of passionate directors and bike enthusiasts brought forward a suggestion that we could look to work on revitalising the Kimberley Community Bike Park on Rotary Drive. The current bike park was built 15 years ago by the City of Kimberley and a group of users at that time. There has been no formal partnership or committee to maintain the Bike Park and over time it has deteriorated. Inspired by recent upgrades to facilities in Fernie, Elkford and further afield in British Columbia, we have a vision to revitalise the Bike Park by rebuilding the existing dirt jumps, adding a paved pumptrack, expanding parking and landscaping the existing area. Our goal is to do this in a sustainable manner and create an ongoing maintenance program in collaboration with the City of Kimberley to offer an incredible facility for this City's booming bike population.
What have we done so far?
- Summer 2022 - Created a bike park committee under the umbrella of the Kimberley Trails Society.
- Ran a community engagement survey to better understand expectations and concerns of the existing bike park.
- Worked with the City of Kimberley to create an actionable plan moving forward.
- Delivered a presentation to Council seeking support for the revitalisation project.
- Worked with Common Ground Trails to create a Concept Drawing for the area.
- Started fundraising initiatives and grant applications. To date; we have hosted a hugely successful Shoulder Season Movie Night at Centre 64 , raffled off a Fat Bike and Ski Package.
- We continue to apply for grants and seek additional funding.